Thursday September 22, 2016

Frances, Al, Marcy, and I had a wonderful time in Cape May, NJ. We left home Saturday morning the 17th at 7am. It was about a 14 hour drive with rest and food breaks.

Sunday was a beautiful day. We started the morning at the Cape May Zoo, lunch at a local diner, then on to the Honey Farm store, the Cape May lighthouse, and finally Sunset Beach where the beach is covered in pebbles instead of shells. We spent an hour or so walking the beach picking up pebbles. Dinner that night back at our hotel, The Cape May Inn. Great place to stay and the food was wonderful. It sits right on the water front which is just across the street.

Monday dawned cloudy looking like rain. We had planned to take the trolley tour of historic Cape May then stop to tour the Emlen Physick estate. Cape May historic area is resplendent with typical Victorian architecture including the estate and furnishings. But, just as we were leaving the hotel to walk to the trolley kiosk the monsoon rains came. Not knowing how long it would last we decided to abandon plan A and go with our Tuesday plans of shopping in the several blocks of the historic district which does not allow motor vehicles and wait out the worst of the rain. However, it continued to pour as we tried to dart in and out of stores during which time I purchased and wore a dry (souvenir) t-shirt and bought an umbrella in a little mini-mall. Frances, Al, and Marcy were hovered under a restaurant awning drinking coffee while I hit the bookstore. Marcy ended up buying a rain jacket. We finally gave up and headed back to the hotel. With the driving rain and streets that resembled rivers we were soaked. Frances, Al, and Marcy had umbrellas and Frances had a rain coat but it was raining too hard to help.

We met up at the hotel restaurant for lunch after donning dry clothing. By then the rain had slacked off to light showers so we struck back out to the shopping district for more shopping and dinner.

Tuesday we did the trolley tour as planned in the morning. Afterwards, Marcy and I went back to the hotel for lunch leaving Al and Frances some time to spend on their on. We did the shops several blocks up the street on the same side as our hotel. When we crossed over to stroll along the sidewalk on the water side we met back up with Frances and Al. We stopped for an Italian Ice then back to the room. Finally we walked back up to the historic shopping district for wonderful Italian dinner.

Wednesday packed up the car before the 8am breakfast at the hotel then Al drove us over to catch the Cape May to Lewes, Delaware ferry departing at 9:30. That 85 minute ferry ride cut off about 3 and half to four hours of drive time. We arrived back in Winston around 9:30 with lunch and rest stops. I drove home this morning getting here at 9:15.

We had a great time, laughed a lot, and suffered from numb butt from the long ride even with stops. Otherwise, what happened in Cape May stayed in Cape May. You have to go there yourself.

This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.